This week’s topic takes off from last week’s post on improving animal welfare by integrating two models of emotions, and is all about the SEEKING system.
If you don’t have six minutes, here’s the major take-home message:
- SEEKING is a multi-purpose emotional system that helps animals find resources
- SEEKING is about expectation
- We do animals a disservice by serving food in bowls rather than engaging the SEEKING system
- If we’re not offering acceptable SEEKING opportunities, animals may engage in unwanted behaviour instead
- Clicker training engages the SEEKING system, which explains the focus, energy, ease of learning and retention typically seen in clicker-trained animals.
The webinar replay that I mention at the end of the video is no longer availabe, unfortunately.
Fear not. I typically teach a lot of free behaviour-related content whenever I launch any of my online courses. Sign up to get notified about courses, free webinars and new blog posts!