So sorry, this course is closed. Opens again for enrollment in January 2023!
Animal emotions – happier animals, better relationships
How will the Animal emotions course change your life – and that of your animal?
“Animal Emotions” will help you develop a better relationship with animals in your care. The course helps you understand behaviour and how emotional experiences impact personality, brain development and social skills.
You’ll learn how to get happier animals that thrive in the care of humans.
Who is this course for?
- This course is for you if you’re a pet owner interested in learning more about what makes your animal tick. Most of my students are dog- and horse people, but I’ve also had students interested in cats, birds, rodents, rabbits, farm animals, and exotic species.
- This course is for you if you work professionally with animals. Many of my students are animal trainers, veterinarians or caregivers in zoos or animal shelters. If you’re one of those people who like theoretical discussions about animal behaviour and learning, there’s a nerd section in every module.
What are people saying about Animal Emotions?
For many students, the course transforms their life with animals. Here are some voices:
- “Thank you for this course, it is, without question, far superior to any course I have participated in to date.” (Candice Milliard)
- “I can honestly say that this course has changed my life. I have even changed my Master’s thesis subject because of it… This course has changed me and my dog’s welfare for the better, and I never even thought that it needed improvement.” (Madicken Åkerman)
- “This has been a life-changing course. Its relevance and importance to my work as a dog/animal trainer is immeasurable”. (Karen West)
- “The course has changed something in the way I look at animals. I feel… closer to them.” (Ewa Rumistrzewicz)
- “This course was so much more than I expected! … I kind of knew what works in dog training, but now I know why!” (Birgitte Pletscher)
- “Most definitely the BEST and most relevant online course I have taken. Heartfelt thanks.” (Alison Parker-Jervis).
How is this online course delivered?
- Once you sign up, you’ll get immediate access to the first module. The other 9 modules will be released weekly from the 28th of January, once admissions have closed.
- This course makes the most out of the online format by using micro-learning: the content videos are short and actionable (2-10 minutes long).
- The course modules are prerecorded and you can watch the videos anytime.
- There are 10 modules (100+ videos) in the course, and they require about 10 hours of engagement in total – but many students return again and again to the videos, spending much more time than that revisiting the material.
- All videos are subtitled in English – this makes it easier for the many non-native English speakers among the students.
- There are some voluntary practical exercises and thought-provoking questions, as well as voluntary self-assessment questions in each module.
- Many students will take an active part in this course and help shape it! This peer-to-peer learning in the comments’ section is one of the most exciting and rewarding aspects of this course!
- There are written summaries and audio files that you can download and keep.
- You have access to the course for a full year after purchase.
- If you have use of Continued Educational Units, we typically give 10 CEUS for this course. Let us know which organization you’re associated with!
- After you finish, you get a certificate of completion and a banner that you can display on your website.
What we’ll cover in this course:
- Why understanding emotions is important when caring for animals.
- The Core Affect Space model, that helps map and illustrate animals’ emotions, sensations and motivations, long-lasting mood states, and how well-being ties into the mix.
- CARE – a core emotion involved in caregiving behaviour, which impacts offsprings’ personality development and stress sensitivity. We can also tap into this system through gentle touch.
- GRIEF – a core emotion involved in social separations. This module of the course highlights the importance of a good nurturing environment.
- PLAY – a core emotion involved in playful social interactions. One of the most influential systems, and one that’s often ignored – or condescendingly laughed at.
- LUST – a core emotion involved in mate seeking and sexual behaviour. Brains versus bodies, gender differences and mate choice.
- SEEKING – a core emotion involved in exploration, foraging and all other emotional systems – and with tremendous effects on learning.
- FEAR – a core emotion with huge impact on behaviour, mainly through fear learning, sensitization, performance impairment and the risk of defensive aggression.
- RAGE – a core emotion triggered by frustration, restraint or perceived inescapable dangers – rendering the animal potentially dangerous.
- We’ll also cover some of the history of the study of emotions, as well as polyvagal theory, guilt, how emotional experiences are affected by predictability and control, as well as how they impact relationships, etc.
Find the course outline below. The modules are released with weekly intervals.
- I will host two live Q&A webinars where I address your questions, in person. If you miss them, don’t worry – they’ll be recorded!
- Access to a private Facebook Group where we can discuss, share and connect.
When you become a student, you’ll be getting weekly emails while the course is being delivered. I’ll also keep you posted on my other free webinars, masterclasses, silly experiments, online courses and blog posts!
Frequently asked questions.
- “How do I get the most out of the course?”
By engaging in discussions, sharing your own thoughts and reflecting on the questions asked – the content comes alive in the comments’ section!
- “Is it worth it?”
Many of my previous students attest that they have found this course transformational – it has forever changed how they interact with animals. Also, as far as I know, this material isn’t taught at this level of depth anywhere else.
- “Is there a scholarship program?”
Yes, there is – unfortunately it’s closed now, though.
- “What if I change my mind?”
This course comes with a 30-day Money Back Guarantee. So, don’t look at joining this course like a risk!
Rather, it’s an opportunity. You can access more than half the content – at no cost! Yes, I have enough confidence in the qualities of this course to encourage you to test it, access 6 out of 10 modules – and not pay anything if you feel it’s not right for you.
The course opens for enrollment once a year – the next occasion will be January 2023.