This course is unfortunately closed. Opens again for enrollment in April 2023!
Ready to take your animal training to the next level? Here’s how!
- Do you have a full-blown or at least a semi-developed nerdy interest in animal behaviour, learning and training?
- Do you feel like you’ve mastered the basics of animal training, and it’s time to move on?
- Have you heard of terms like “start buttons behaviours”, “do as I do”, “concept training”, and “loopy training” – but don’t quite know what they’re about?
- Are you curious about how latent inhibition, blocking, overshadowing, learned irrelevance, keep-going signals, non-reward markers, end-of-session signals, stimulus generalization and stimulus discrimination will impact your animal’s learning and the outcome of your training?
Keep reading – this is for you!
“I have started many courses without completing them. However, now I was so engrossed in the material, I couldn’t stop. This course has left me feeling more empowered as a trainer and thirsting for more knowledge. There are SO many things I am thinking and doing differently!”
– Dale Rudin
There are many introductory animal training courses out there, and if you’ve attended some of those, you’ve likely learned about positive reinforcement.
Clicker training, perhaps.
At some point after that initial exposure to animal training, many people get bitten by the training bug. You too, maybe?
Training opened up a new dimension of communication with your animal, and you became obsessed with learning more.
And at some point you plateaued and became frustrated, because let’s face it, most of the available courses are introductory.
“here’s how to walk your dog on a leash”.
“here’s how to start clicker training your horse”.
“here’s how to teach your parrot to step up”.
Sigh. Where’s the challenge?
“I’ve enjoyed this course more than most courses I’ve attended, I’m sort of mindblown! I wish it would continue every week the rest of my life! ❤️Especially now! Thank you so much! ❤️”
– Eva-Lynn Karstensen
I can relate.
I made that journey, too.
I had a pressing need to learn more on this topic – I still do. In the last 20 or so years, I’ve attended more than 60 international animal training courses, conferences and seminars, learning from some of the best contemporary animal trainers in the world.
And I created the Advanced Animal Training course so that you don’t have to.
I distilled all that nerdy, sciency stuff related to animal training into one online course.
Advanced Animal Training fills your toolbox to help you understand the intricacies of behaviour even better, and is all about encouraging, communicating and motivating the animal to exhibit desired behaviour.
Advanced Animal Training is not a problem solving course and doesn’t discuss how to address undesired behaviour in any great detail (covering that topic in another course, that’s why!).
“I honestly think that your courses should be made compulsory for anyone who works with animals, as they are full of valuable information”
– Hannah Ruess
How will the advanced Animal training course change your life- and that of your animal?
- You’ll become more confident as a trainer.
- You’ll be able to watch another trainer and analyze what they’re doing in nerdy detail.
- You’ll rethink how you interact with your spouse and children. And everyone. How everyone interacts with everyone.
- You’ll find a tribe of equally obsessive – and helpful – training geeks in our online community.
“Sometimes you get stuck in your training- there is a high probability you will find the reason why within the Advanced Animal Training course🤩 “
– Andrea Wiesner
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if:
- you have a passionate interest in animal behaviour, learning and training.
- you are ready to take your training to the next level.
What I’m getting at is that this course is not for beginner trainers. You don’t have to have that much practical experience, but you should have a working knowledge of basic theoretical concepts related to operant learning and classical conditioning. If you feel like maybe you’re not there yet, you may want to check out this foundational course instead!
“It is not a course for the fainthearted, Karolina warns that it is ‘dense’, and indeed it was – exactly what I was looking for. I feel that my knowledge and understanding of the processes and procedures of training have increased exponentially during this course. I cannot recommend it highly enough”
– Alison Parker Jervis
How is this online course delivered?
- Once you sign up, you’ll get immediate access to the introductory review module. The other main 9 modules will become accessible with weekly intervals once course enrollment closes – so full course access to all the material happens after 9 weeks.
- This course makes the most out of the online format by using micro-learning: the content videos are short and actionable (most are 5-15 minutes long).
- The course modules are prerecorded and you can watch the videos anytime.
- There are 10 modules (100+ videos) in the course, and they require about 17 hours of engagement in total – but many students return again and again to the videos, spending much more time than that revisiting the material. Not to mention going down rabbit holes, following a ton of carefully selected links that expand on the different topics…
- All videos are subtitled in English – this makes it easier for the many non-native English speakers among the students.
- There are some voluntary practical exercises (each module contains a practical challenge) and thought-provoking questions.
- There are voluntary self-assessment quizzes for each of the main modules (only compulsory if you require CEUs, see below!).
- Many students will take an active part in this course and help shape it! This peer-to-peer learning in the comments’ section is one of the most exciting and rewarding aspects of this course!
- There are written summaries and audio files that you can download and keep.
- You have access to the course for an entire year after purchase.
- You’ll be invited to a secret Facebook Group, where you can connect, share and discuss with other animal lovers – with continued lifetime access!
- If you have use of Continued Educational Units, the IAABC and the PPAB give 17 CEUs for this course. Let me know if you need any other organization’s CEUs!
- After you finish, you get a certificate of completion and a banner that you can display on your website.
“I recommend this course to everyone I know who works with training animals. It gives so many different, new, important and absolutely necessary aspects, if you want to interact with animals – whether it be living with animals, training or problem solving”
– Britt Balle
This course builds on my course Getting Behaviour – the foundations of animal training, although it’s not a prerequisite to have attended it.
“I have done a lot of courses over the years and I don’t think I have learned as many different perspectives as I did with this one. Thank you again and I will certainly be recommending this course to my colleagues!”
– Debra Millikan
I’m super excited about the bonus material for this course: I managed to secure short interviews with nine world-leading animal trainers on a specific topic, one for each module:
- Bob Bailey (know your animal)
- Jenifer Zeligs (intermediate bridges)
- Chirag Patel (the bucket game)
- Judy Luther (trust-centered training)
- Jesus Rosalez-Ruiz (poisoned cues)
- Ken Ramirez (the modern principles of shaping)
- Kathy Sdao (the Premack principle)
- Susan Friedman (the cultural fog)
- Eva Bertilsson (who-does-what-when, and flow charts)
When you become a student, you’ll be getting weekly emails while the course is being delivered. I’ll also keep you posted on my other free webinars, masterclasses, silly experiments, online courses and blog posts!
“The thing that was so amazing with how Karolina teaches, is that the information sneaks up on you, and suddenly you use your new knowledge, without even realising. This course has changed a lot of my everyday behaviours, and made me a better animal trainer, without me even trying”
– Madicken Åkerman
Frequently Asked Questions
- “How do I get the most out of the course?”
By engaging in discussions and engaging in the practical challenges. Even though the course is delivered over 9 weeks, you have a full year to finish it – there’s no rush! Some of my previous students consider this course almost like an encyclopedia – and they return to some of the different topics several times.
- “Is it worth it?”
If you’ve been bitten by the training bug, this course should keep you satisfied (and away from expensive international conferences) for years to come.
- “Is there a scholarship program?”
Yes, there is – when the course next opens in April of 2023.
- “Will it work for me?”
This is an Advanced Course. If you’re a beginner, probably not. If you’re a nerd, it’s a smorgasbord. Something for everyone!
Pick one topic. Digest. Come back for more.
- “But I’m interested in dogs/horses/cats/parrots – wouldn’t I be better off taking a dog/horse/cat/parrot training course?”
This may sound counter intuitive, but you’ll actually become a better dog trainer (or horse/cat/parrot trainer) by learning more about how to address and solve the challenges involved in training other animal species. This requires flexibility, which is one of the most important qualities in a great trainer.
- “What if I change my mind?”
If you sign up and later feel that this course is not for you, there’s a 30-day refund policy. You’ll get your money back – guaranteed! This means that you can actually get free access to half the course content, since 5 modules are released by day 30.
The cost of this transformational Advanced Animal Training Course is US$ 447:- plus local taxes.
Reach the next level as an animal trainer – join us when the course opens in April of 2023!
Sign up to the newsletter list to ensure that you get the invitation when the next enrollment period starts! I’ll also keep you posted on upcoming blog posts and other learning opportunities!
“Enjoying this course so much that it’s hard to move away from. I’ve found it to be extremely thought provoking and exciting at the same time, thank you for taking us to the higher level and allowing us to think beyond. It’s rare to find courses that bring thought and conversation to this level – I’ve been searching for that next level to interact with and finally found it!”
– Jan Harkner-Abbs